Thursday, July 1

what the what?

With the expenses and savings involved in moving into and furnishing a brand new apartment - as well as knowledge of my severe lack of willpower when it comes to resisting pretty things - I have been avoiding the J.Crew website for the past month. Until today. And boy oh boy have I been missing out on some super stuff! Super hilarious, that is.


I don't know what is so "Mediterranean" about this, unless Mediterranean women have a habit of going out to buy their weekly baskets of olives and feta cheese whilst donning their mother's nightgowns. If this is the case, then I blame it on my cultural ignorance for not "getting" the appeal of this dress. If J.Crew would've lopped 5 feet off this dress, it might have made for a pretty sweet top.

On another note, the model is seductively showing some left shin action there. J.Crew, you rascals!

Next, the Gallery-stripe Marlie racerback dress:

This looks like it escaped off the set of O Brother, Where Art Thou? Maybe someone working on the J.Crew design team decided that it'd be a great homage to the Coen brothers to mass market 1930s prison swag. Or maybe the G.Clooney-helmed chain gang in the movie were just waaaay ahead of their time.

(photo from allmoviephoto.com)
These guys were fashion pioneers. Who would've known?

But, to prove that some people are so gorgeous that they can truly wear anything and look awesome, thereby rendering my critiques useless and moot, check out the striped dress on the ever beautiful Summerilla.

What are your thoughts on these dresses? Or on J.Crew's more questionable items as of late?

17 comments:

  1. Proof that Jenna Lyons may be funnier than I previously thought...

    GENIUS tag, love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latest questionable item for me is their new sweatshirt dress. Not sure if I think it looks absolutely ridiculous or if I keep going back to look at it because I kind of want it.

    (But I do think the Luxe terry un-sweatpant IS ridonkerous. Baggy crotch kind of skinny pants? The model doesn't even look flattering in it.)

    Sputtering aside, yes, JC, I believe I will be seeing you sometime this weekend ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy you're so funny! I love that movie, and although I agree with you on the Marlie dress, I did order the tank - thinking how cute it would look underneath a black blazer…. only to discover it was short and wide on me. UGH. So back it went, but my Jcrew obsession continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me HATES (all caps, yes!) the Mediterranean gown. & I totally feel you on the saving and the avoiding (J.Crew, that is). We're doing the same while waiting for our house to be built. I know it will be worth it but DANG. This is worse than waiting for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Amy you always make me giggle! Not feeling these J. Crew dresses but I was there the other day and their shirts were making me swoon all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of the mediterranean gown, it reminds me of the nightgowns I used to wear when I was a little girl....love the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The model's expressions give us an indication...

    ReplyDelete
  8. eww to those dresses and i love the label ;)
    good luck with the move!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol! as a mediterranean myself, i can assure you we don't wear our mother's nightdresses to the market, haaahaaa! maxi dresses are pretty big this year (every summer really cos it just gets TOO hot!) but i haven't seen anything this bad in our shops... thumbs dooown to j.crew from cyprus, booooo!

    in other news, i posted a tutorial about turban-making. i was thinking of how fascinted you get with the turban, hehe, let me know if you like it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeaaa, these are pretty bad. I kinda like the idea of the painted stripes, but not the execution.

    hope your moving into and decorating the new place is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So this is a random question - I just saw your post about shrinking your monochromatic corset dress. I was wondering how much it shrunk (what size is it now) and what did you do with it? I'm looking for the dress and can't find it. Figured I'd ask :-) If you still have it let me know and I'll send you my email address... maybe I can take it off your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Just came by your blog to say I hope your move is going well and that you will return to your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These dresses are bad news. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Come back Amy!! I miss your outfits!! Hope the move is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the second one!!!!! stripes... my kind of thing hahaha


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay, your back. :)
    I don't mind the stripe dress so much, but that might be because I like its twin cousin (the tank version). That Mediterranean dress on the other hand is bleh. And those shoes make it five times worse.

    Hope you have a good move and are enjoying the new place. Did you find some good places to get all of your furnishings?

    ReplyDelete