Friday, December 3

DIY: PAPER WREATHS

A good holiday wreath can do a lot to make your home feel just a bit more festive. And I'm all about making the home feel festive, readers. So, in response to the curiosity surrounding the wreaths you've been seeing hanging on the wall behind me lately, here is a quick little DIY for the two paper wreaths I've made.

these wreaths!

Or rather, just links to where I got the ideas from, ha! To see my yarn ball door wreath, CLICK HERE.

For both wreaths, you just need these things:

- a book you don't mind ripping pages out of
- tape
- hot glue
- a foam wreath for the backing and shape
- skinny ribbon that can be looped to hang the wreath with
- wreath decor, like ribbons and fake plants

******

WREATH ONE: the paper cone wreath

in its naked state

fully dressed

I got this idea when I saw this listing on etsy. And here's what you do:

1. Carefully tear out pages from your book, keeping them as intact as possible with no rough edges.

2. Fold these pages into cones and secure with a little piece of tape so they don't unroll.

3. Hot glue the pointed end of these paper cones onto the foam wreath. I personally glued the cones to the inner circle of the wreath. For the base layer, I made sure the cones were sticking out a lot, and for the second layer, I made them stick out less, and for the last layer, I made them stick out even less by gluing them further back into the wreath. Does that make sense? I wish I had taken pictures of the process!

4. To keep the last layer of cones lying flat over the other cones, I glued the open ends of them to the other cones already secured on the wreath. Once you get started, I'm sure you'll understand what I mean.

5. Make a loop with a ribbon and glue it to the back of your wreath. This is what you'll use to hang your wreath on.

6. Decorate it! I wrapped mine with ribbon and glued the flowers to the cones.

******

WREATH TWO: the paper loop wreath

in its naked state

fully dressed

Thankfully for you, this one came from an already well-written tutorial, courtesy of Razzle Dazzle Crafting! WHEW! I followed all of her instructions, except I obviously used pages from a book rather than fun paper. After I was done, I used the same ribbon loop technique to create a "hanger" for the wreath and also wrapped it with a raffia ribbon and glued some fake holly to it.

Both of my wreaths are secured with thumbtacks in the wall and are hung the same way you'd hang a picture.

******

Well, there you have it! I know my instructions are just about terrible, but I hope that those of you who are interested in making your own paper wreaths can make sense of it all! As always, you can email me if you have any more questions.

13 comments:

  1. You are so creative! This looks like a lot of fun! Maybe I should invest in a glue gun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was so pretty, i wish i could do it myself....

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw, those are so awesome! I ove the first one...with the shiny glittery ribbon wrapped all around it...super cute! Also love your outfit today...you look fabulous! Especially love the contrast of the dark tights with the pop of red shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so cool! I love them Amy- and totally wish I could do them myself if it weren't for the fact that craft stores in about 49 states all have my mug shot next to the check outs saying, "IF YOU SEE THIS GIRL TRYING TO BUY A GLUE GUN, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY", because nothing really that bad happened, and I wish they would all just get over it. :(

    I love your outfit, too! Pretty dress! Orange cardigan! *dies*

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are turning into a DIY maven, lady! I don't know if I love these wreaths or your yarn ball one better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're fashionable AND crafty! urgh! I love/hate you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are gorgeous wreaths, so crafty! i'll have to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh....I really love these I may need to try it out! Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, first I have to say I love your new header. That being said, these wreaths are SO amazing! I LOVE them! I'm going to do it - if only I can get myself to sacrifice a book to the cause. I think for me, that'll be the hardest part...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow they look great!! Thanks for sharing the how to. I love how the Reed dress is back! I have to get mine out of the closet--I have the red one as well and it's perfect for this time of year! You look so cute as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know my favourite part? I get to use a book I hated, and it will finally serve a purpose! LOL! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete